You can use this site as part of interesting and interactive Cold War lesson plans. Here’s how:

Just Use Our Cold War High School Lesson Plan, Easily Adapted for Middle School. Click here.

Or try these ideas:

The Cold War for Kids page offers a clear and understandable summary of the period with interesting pictures chosen for students

The Cold War Videos for Kids page provides a fascinating glimpse of the Berlin War and escapes through it, plus the “Duck and Cover” film showing how American kids were taught to react to the flash of an atomic bomb — its settings in the hallways and lunchrooms of typical US schools will help your students understand how it felt to be an American kid at the height of the Cold War

The Kids Family Project page, presented below, provides an interactive project for students to help parents, grandparents and other relatives obtain the Cold War Recognition Certificate (sometimes called the Cold War Medal). The Certificate comes straight from the U.S. military and the only cost is a stamp. This process can also be used as a chance for students to obtain Cold War oral histories from their loved ones and share them in class!

See our Korean War for Kids page here

Thousands of veterans and current service members are eligible for the Cold War Recognition Certificate, also known as the Cold War Medal, but have never applied for it — even though it’s easy. Many surviving family members could get an award from the US military in memory of their deceased veteran. Here are simple instructions on how to get yours. Don’t wait, the number of Cold War Certificates is limited.

[Some good news in 2013 on government efficiency: Our friend Ed Willey -- click Mig on the Beach -- filled out the Cold War Recognition Certificate paperwork and mailed it Jan. 21st 2013. Received the certificate Jan. 31st]

Let America Honor Your Service

Cold War Recognition Certificate

In the 1998 National Defense Authorization Act, the Secretary of Defense approved awarding Cold War Recognition Certificates to all members of the armed forces and qualified federal government civilian personnel who faithfully and honorably served the United States any time during the Cold War era, Sept. 2, 1945, through Dec. 26, 1991.

See the 3 Steps and Larger Pictures

Step 1: Confirm You’re Eligible

Cold War Recognition Certificate: Anyone who worked for the U.S. Government at any time during the Cold War era, Sept. 2, 1945 through Dec. 26, 1991, is eligible, provided their service to the country was faithful and honorable. National Guard and Reservists are eligible for the Cold War Recognition Certificate, sometimes called the Cold War Medal. Contractors and volunteers are not eligible.

Are Family Members Eligible to Get the Certificate?

Who are considered the primary next of kin? If the veteran is deceased, his/her primary next-of-kin (PNOK) may apply for the certificate. If the veteran or federal employee was married, the primary next-of-kin is the spouse, children, or siblings, in that order of precedence. If the spouse is living, he/she must apply before the veteran’s eldest son or daughter. If the veteran’s eldest son or daughter applies, the request must explain that the spouse is deceased. If the veteran was not married, the PNOK is the veteran’s father/mother, or brothers/sisters, in that order of precedence. If the veteran’s parents are living, they must apply before the veteran’s eldest brother or sister applies. If the veteran’s eldest brother or sister applies, the request must explain that the parents are deceased.

Step 2: Get the Documents You Need

For the Certificate:

Find the right document + fill out the application.

Document: Any document which shows that the intended recipient was a U.S. government employee during the Cold War era will be accepted as proof. The document must contain the name of the recipient, the Social Security Number or Military Service Number or Foreign Service Number which was included in the request for the certificate, and a date showing at least one day of service within the range of 2 September 1945 and 26 December 1991. Examples of acceptable documents include a Leave and Earnings statement, DD214 or other Discharge Paper, or SF50 (Civilian Personnel Action Form.) Please send a copy of your supporting document, DO NOT SEND the original document. Original documents cannot be returned.

Application: Get the application from the Army site by clicking here (US residents, next of kin and international residents click here), or download the form for US residents at the bottom of this page

Step 3: Order It

Mail your document (remember, send a copy, not the original) and application to:
Cold War Recognition Program
ATTN: AHRC-PDP-A, Dept 480
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408